Monday, August 27, 2012

What the ... Popeye's reference?!?!?

So, I am watching the latest, for me, episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. He is in Penang and talking to a guy he has known for a while. Apologetically he mentions he had Popeye's chicken in the morning and I am immediately offended.

What the ... kimchi?!?!? He dissed Popeye's? Or did he? Fuck him! Popeye's holds fond memories from Korea and childhood. You just can't get it in Canada, at least not in the Maritime region.

When I was a kid travelling with my dad Popeye's was a treat we only got when he had a trip to the US. You just can't find it around here. The Maritime region if you are actually following what I type. I remember it best on the Massachusetts Turnpike. It was spicy, chickeny, and fast.

When I lived in South Korea and found Popeye's Chicken I was blissed out. It was a taste of comfort. It was something I treated myself to once a week. I had to earn it by not eating it more than once a week.  And I didn't. The spicy chicken and the buttermilk biscuits were ... joy.

Stig and I would enjoy a weekend afternoon with Popeye's. Buy some. Go to the Dunkin Donuts patio and get a coffee. Eat the chicken lunch. Drink the coffee with a cigar. Life was DAMN DAMN DAMN good. I miss those weekends. God damn I miss those times.

Ah Popeye's. I do miss you.

2 comments:

  1. There isn't a weekend that passes that I don't wish I was meeting you on the patio at DD for chicken, coffee, cigars and people watching (whether it was mooks or hotties, tap tap).
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. Never found a spot like that here. :(

    ReplyDelete