Friday, October 15, 2010

Being Blunt

"I am just being blunt" is an over used, and often inappropriately used term. I had a friend who used to go around saying that she was very blunt with people. Apologists often say the reason Koreans say nasty things is because they are a blunt people. Often "being blunt" is just an excuse for being a nasty bitch.

Being blunt doesn't mean that you have to be nasty or cruel. Nor does it mean that you are so stupid you don't know when it is not appropriate. It is supposed to mean a person is frank, direct, to the point. They tell it like it is. You can do that without being deliberately cruel.

The friend who prided herself on her bluntness could be pretty cruel, whether to strangers or friends. Case in point, when one of my Uncles died (I lost a few family members while I was in Korea) ... her idea of being blunt and comforting was to say "Well, they were old. You should expect it." Yes, she actually said that to me, and on more than one occasion. When talking about concerns over my mothers health she would make comments like that. "She is getting older you know." And if you got upset at her she would hide behind "just being blunt" and then get indignant with you.

I have seen Koreans walk up to people they don't know and say things like "You are a fat pig." or "You are ugly." and apologists slough it off as them being blunt. I mentioned in a previous post about the Korean walking up to a black guy and saying "You are black. You are a nigger." That was sloughed off by apologists as just being blunt.

It isn't being blunt, it is being an twat. It is trying to hide the fact that you are just bitchy and rude behind the mantle of being blunt. It is just an excuse some people use for being assholes.

There is a lot to be said for being blunt. I prefer people to be direct. However, there is such a thing as compassion and appropriateness. I have been referred to by friends (some of who consider themselves to be blunt) as being politely blunt. Well, I would rather be politely blunt than an asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment