Monday, September 5, 2011

Implicit Association Test

After reading Eve's post about taking the Implicit Association test I decided to take it as well. According to the test I have no automatic preference.

You have completed the African American - European American IAT.

Your Result:

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American.

Thank you for your participation. Just below is a breakdown of the scores generated by others. Most respondents find it easier to associate African American with Bad and European American with Good compared to the reverse.

Many of the questions that you answered on the previous page have been addressed in research over the last 10 years. For example, the order that you performed the response pairing is influential, but procedural corrections largely eliminate that influence (see FAQ #1). Each visitor to the site completes the task in a randomized order. If you would like to learn more about the IAT, please visit the FAQs and background information section.



It is an interesting test. I had some reservations about it part way through. The testers had bad on the same side as African-American and good on the European-American side. However, that was switched around.

Does it mean I am not prejudiced? No. Everyone is to some degree whether it is based on skin colour, ethnicity, gender, even hair colour. To paraphrase Eve, only a fool would take the test and start proclaiming it is evidence they are not racist or completely free of prejudice. When I was younger and more foolish my result would have been different.

2 comments:

  1. Even hair color ... reminds me of a blond friend I once had. I agree we all have biases. I think I become more conscious of them (and more likely to cop to them) as I get older.

    ReplyDelete