Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Plans going astray can be good.

Initially I wasn`t going to come straight home from Korea. I was going to go to Thailand for a month or so. I was going to go to Phuket and rent a cottage. Damn cheap prices off season. I had planned on stopping in Bangkok on the way too. There are still some sites I wanted to see there, maybe even screw up the courage to go to the snake farm.

I started paying attention to the news coming out of Thailand 2-3 months before I would have been going. Around the 1 month mark, when it was time to start booking things, I decided I wasn`t going to go. The protests the previous year(s) happened around then and the signs seemed to indicate that they would be worse this time.

So instead of fun in the sun I came right home. It looks like I made the right decision. Even before I left Korea protesters, and police, were being killed. Looking at the news today I know I made the right decision. The central shopping area of Bangkok is a battlefield. Definitely not the right time to be a tourist.

I feel sorry for those who rely on tourism in Thailand. This is going to hit them hard. From what I have read some places were still trying to get back on their feet after the tsunami several years back. Now this.

2 comments:

  1. As of now, I'm still planning to go in Sept. I'll be flying into Phuket so hopefully the violence will end-or at least not spread south. Poor Thailand :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Hopefully things calm down soon. I always enjoyed my visits to Thailand.

    ReplyDelete