Saturday, January 15, 2011

Billy Connolly - Journey to the Edge of the World

I have been watching the series. It is great. One comment the Connolly made in the 5th episode, the travelouge. made me laugh. Then I realized just how true it is. He said

"I'm really fed up with people saying the kids today aren't the same. They play with their computers and they don't go outdoors.

You have ruined outdoors for them that's why they are in there! You have given them, no you have left them no where to go. There is no spare ground. Everyone is terrified that the trees are filled with pedophiles and that they are going to drop on them the minute they go around the corner away from the house."

It is funny but sadly true. We make ourselves and our kids so paranoid it is a wonder they do go out. It is a wonder that people don't have panic attacks when they see a stranger coming down the sidewalk.

It reminds me of arguments I had with one of my uncles about gay men being boy scout leaders. My uncle was active in the scouts in Ontario. The policy was, maybe still is, if they find out a troop leader is gay they get rid of him.

They have taken the fear of strangers and added homophobia to it and then bent it all out of proportion. They ignore the reality of the situation, a gay man isn't attracted to boys he is attracted to men and in my view made asses out of themselves. I am surprised it never led to a law suit. Odds are it would have in the US. Maybe it even has.

It reminds me of the asshats who think any man that likes teaching kids must be gay and/or a pedophile. Ergo no men should be teaching elementary school kids. It is ok for Junior High and High School but not Elementary. Talk about fucktards.

We are a nation of fear. We instill it in our kids and in ourselves. In ways we let it rule our lives. It is kind of sad when you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment