Monday, November 1, 2010

Poppy Volunteers

Remembrance Day is coming up November 11th and I always try to wear a poppy for it. That was harder to do in South Korea of course. Much easier now. Or it should be.

I went out to get some groceries and saw the poppy stand. As I approached it an older couple got there first. The woman who was volunteering at the stand must have known the other women because a gab fest ensued.

I figured the volunteer would say a few words to her friend, deal with me, and then go back to her friend. Boy was I wrong. Five minutes later they are still flapping their gums. The woman's husband looks at me and shrugs his shoulders.

I decide to be patient and wait. Five more minutes pass and they are STILL yapping away. Instead of telling her she is fucking moron, after all she is volunteering for a great cause, I left. They were still yapping 5 minutes later when I left the store.

As I said, the Poppy Fund is a great cause, so I just donated my money and got a poppy elsewhere instead of not giving any money. They would be better off without volunteers like that woman though. If it had been a charity I don't normally support an incident like that would be enough of a reason for me to NEVER support them.

She volunteered her time to help the charity. If she had that much to say to a friend, at elast 15 minutes worth while ignoring people who wanted a poppy, she should pick her fucking phone up on her own time and call them! instead of showing some manners and class she ended up causing a few people, not just me, to NOT donate their money at that time. Some of them may not donate at all now for all I know.

If you honour Remembrance Day and don't have your poppy I encourage you to get one. If you run into a moron like I did just find another kiosk.

No comments:

Post a Comment